So my blog was mentioned by the lovely Alicia
How it began...
When I lived in Arizona, I attended an enrichment night at church where a good friend of mine taught about couponing. I remember leaving that class, thinking it just sounds like a lot of work that I don't have time for. As the week went on I kept thinking.. hmmm maybe I should try. I did not want to invest any money into it. I wasn't getting the paper and didn't really want to, as I wasn't sure how this coupon thing was going to go. So I decided to try freecycle.
I put out a want for Sunday coupons. I asked if there was anyone in my area that would be willing to let me pick up their Sunday coupons every week. I got a few bites, including my dear friend Rita, who in the end helped me take my couponing to an insane level (best result spent $11.57 saved $110.68)... but before I get way ahead of myself,
today's lesson is: Where to find coupons
- Local newspaper--if you already get the Sunday paper start saving those coupons. There are some papers, such as the Arizona Republic where you can get deals to get multiple Sunday papers for a great price.** You can always sign up for just Sunday's paper
- Free newspapers around town--example, La Voz, Hispanic free paper in AZ (outside of Food 4 less) has coupons in it on Thursdays usually
- Coupons.com--free site with printable grocery coupons
- Specific food company sites: bettycrocker.com, pillsbury.com, kraftfoods.com (sign up for these sites for great member only coupons)
- Shortcuts.com-site to load coupons on to your Store shoppers card
- Neighbors, friends, freecycle.org or craigslist.com (my current city for freecycle has policies about not asking for coupons but most don't)
- Grocery stores recipe/advertising booklets at front of stores
- Dumpsters-especially recycling ones (might get in trouble for this one though--so look at your own risk)
So to check out what paper in your area has coupons available check this page here.
So start getting your coupons, in our next lesson I will teach you how to know where to use them. I know lots of great sites that make the work so easy and all free.
For lessons on coupons click the pig!
**If you live in AZ, join Pinching Your Pennies, then you will be able to access the page which gives you a great discount on multiple copies of the Sunday Arizona Republic