I got this recipe from a friend over 9 years ago now after she made it and I desperately requested it.
|Double batch shown here|
The key to the broccoli salad starts with the broccoli:
Chop your broccoli small!
The recipe calls for a "bunch" of green onions; first what is a bunch exactly and I never do a bunch-here is about the amount I use for a double batch (though I did end up cutting up two more-so 5)
Bacon makes it better! I always just about double the bacon it calls for, as really is there ever enough bacon? A great way to cut up the bacon is cut it with kitchen scissors!
As you are mixing the dressing you might get worried it looks too thick.
Now the recipe:
Serves: 6-8 people ((I usually double for parties))
--see my modifications above
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup mayo
2 t. vinegar
6 cups finely chopped broccoli
1 bunch green onions (I never do a bunch- see above)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
2-3 pieces bacon
1. Cook the bacon until well done, set aside on paper towel to drain grease.
2. While bacon is cooking, chop the broccoli into small pieces. Put into a large bowl.
3. Finley chop the green onions- add to the broccoli mixing well.
4. Add and mix in sunflower seeds to broccoli mixture.
5. Make the dressing by combining dressing ingredients in separate bowl, mix well.
6. Add dressing mixture to broccoli, adding a little at at time and stirring then adding more.
7. Cut or break the bacon into small pieces, add to the broccoli mixture, mix well.
8. Refrigerate or eat immediately.
Your welcome- enjoy being the hit of the party.
I am linking this post up at the following crafting blogs